Plan your event with ease. Click here to save this recipe to your recipe box.
1) 1 cup sugar, divided
2) 3/4 cup matzah cake meal
3) 1/4 cup potato starch
4) 5 eggs at room temperature, separated
5) 2 ripe bananas, sprinkled with the juice of 1/2 lemon
6) 1/4 cup oil
7) 1 teaspoon vanilla
8) 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
9) pinch of salt
10) Confectionerâ??s sugar, optional
11) 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted, optional
1) Before you begin, preheat the oven to 325 degrees and have ready a 9-inch spring-form pan.
2) Into a large mixing bowl, sift together 1/2 cup sugar, matzah cake meal, and potato starch.
3) Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the egg yolks, mashed bananas/lemon juice mixture, oil and vanilla.
4) Beat until smooth. Mix in the pineapple juice.
5) Place the egg whites into a large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until frothy.
6) Add the pinch of salt and continue beating until the whites hold soft peaks.
7) Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar one tablespoon at a time and beat the whites at high speed until they hold stiff peaks.
8) Do not overbeat the whites.
9) Place 1/4 of the beaten whites into the yolk mixture and fold in.
10) Fold in the remaining whites in two or three additions, until the white and yolk mixture are well combined and there are no visible white streaks in the batter.
11) Pour or spoon the batter into the spring-form pan and bake in the preheated oven.
12) Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a cake tested inserted into the center comes out clean.
13) Remove from oven and immediately invert. When cake has cooled, place right side up.
14) With a sharp knife and a gentle sawing motion cut gently around sides, bottom and center of the cake to release it from the pan.
15) Place on a cake stand and sprinkle with some confectionary sugar, if desired. Or drizzle with melted chocolate.
Click here to rate and / or comment.